Friday, November 2, 2012

Oh How I Love Baking

What do Monday night, Tuesday night and Wednesday night all have in common?  I baked, I baked delicious things that are so bad for you!  I love it so much I can't even get over it!  So what did I make? Well I already showed you my Rice Krispie treat platter, but here they are again.


I also made some "festive" Halloween goodies. (By festive I of course simply mean chocolate with orange frosting, hey people I used food coloring, I NEVER use food coloring.)


And then to top it all off, I made this.


It's my grandma's brownie recipe topped with a peppermint buttercream and peppermint ganache.  I mean my grandma's brownies are the best, but this pushed them just a bit over the top!  Are you wanting the recipe yet?  Ok here we go (I guess I can share this family tradition :))

Brownies
1 stick butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
vanilla
salt
1 cup flour

That's it people, only 7 ingredients (really five if you ignore the vanilla and salt).  And, putting it together is just as easy!

Preheat oven to 375.  Grease a pie plate of 8x8 baking dish.

In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter.  When the butter is melted stir in the cocoa.  

Remove from heat and add in the sugar making sure to stir well.  Add in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition (usually I ignore the one at a time rule, but in this situation it's totally necessary, remember this mixture is hot people!)

And in vanilla and salt to taste.  Add half of the flour and mix well.  Add the last of the flour and stir until combined (this will be thick).

Pour the batter into your baking dish of choice.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Let cool.

Peppermint Buttercream
1 stick room temperature butter
1 tablespoon peppermint schnapps (or 1 teaspoon peppermint extract)
2 cups powdered sugar 

Beat the butter with a mixer until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).  Add the peppermint schnapps and mix to combine.  Slowly add the powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time until the mixture reaches a stable consistency.

Spread on top of the cooled brownies.

Peppermint Ganache 
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon peppermint schnapps (or 1 teaspoon peppermint extract)
8 oz. dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces.


In a small sauce pan heat the cream and schnapps to just below boiling point.  Remove from the heat and add in the chocolate, stir until melted (if you need to put it back on the heat for a bit do so, just keep stirring).  

Pour on top of the buttercream and smooth all the way to the edges.  

Refrigerate overnight to solidify the ganache.  Slice into squares or wedges and enjoy!

Love, 

Keely

3 comments:

  1. Ahh I love anything peppermint and chocolate. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelsea! It's not always my favorite but sometimes it just hits the spot :) The brownies are also delicious with salted caramel sauce on top :)

      Delete
  2. These all look fabulous! It was great to meet you yesterday. Let me know if you're ever looking for gluten free/ dairy free recipes to share with your friends :)

    ReplyDelete

Every comment makes me smile. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...